5/24/10

The Palms Weekend Radio presents THE SAINTS & SINNERS FRIDAY NITE LIVE MIX.


I WAS BORN FOR MANY REASONS. To change rap. To have pretty babies. To keep the Bushmills Distillery in business. And I was born to deejay Saints & Sinners on Friday nights.

Saints & Sinners is in Palms, one of the mostly densely populated and ethnically diverse neighborhoods in Los Angeles, one of the most ethnically diverse cities in America, easily the most ethnically diverse country in the world. So it's my job to titillate the ears of one of the most mixed-up collections of people you will find in any bar anywhere - rockers, hip-hoppers, old schoolers, latins, and so on - in one night. My dad raised me on the blues. My mother's family raised me on Persian music. Living in England put me front row center for the '80s U.K. pop explosion. Moving to Los Angeles in 1992, the year of The Chronic and the riots, put me front row center for the '90s hip-hop explosion. And tracing those rap records back to their old school source samples opened me up to galaxies of music of all genres. After three years on the decks, a decent amount of local music lovers know that if you come to Saints & Sinners on a Friday night you're gonna hear it all. At once.

Click to episode 4 on the music player to your right to hear me in the mix at Saints & Sinners.You can also download it from the link below the player. We recorded the full four-hour set, then condensed it to my favorite segments. I kick off with an old school flurry, dip into reggae for a spell (which is normally the part where I point at the dancing women before eating the note Kate just handed me saying "no more reggae please"), tagteam hip-hop with some originals (props to QZR for hitting me with that Asha Puthli/Biggie record), turn '70s disco-rock into '80s R&B pop-cheese, and then go out diamond in the back, sun roof top style. Expect more Saints & Sinners mixes on subsequent episodes of The Palms Weekend Radio, which will premiere every Saturday and Sunday on soulpublicradio.com from 3 to 4pm, and live on forever here on the player at thepalmsweekend.com, the site that solves your music problems with one click.

And remember, if you're complaining about my mixing skills, you're not drunk enough.


Show #4 tracklist:

  1. Bruce Springsteen, "Born To Run"/Parliament, "Flash Light"
  2. Albert King, "Born Under A Bad Sign"
  3. Little Richard, "Lucille"
  4. Bootsy Collins, "I'd Rather Be With You"
  5. Tonto Irie, "It A Ring"
  6. Barrington Levy, "Teach The Youth"
  7. Ini Kamoze, "World Of Music"
  8. Alton Ellis, "I'm Still In Love With You"
  9. Bob Marley, "Could You Be Loved"
  10. The Heptones/N.W.A./Charles Wright & The 103rd Street Rhythm Band, "Express Yourself"
  11. Asha Puthli, "Space Talk"/Notorious B.I.G., "The World Is Filled..."
  12. Nas, "Street Dreams"/Tupac, "All Eyez On Me"
  13. Mos Def, "Life Is Real"
  14. Barry White, "Never Gonna Give You Up"
  15. The Clipse, "Ride Around Shining"
  16. U.G.K., "Good Stuff"/Jay-Z, "Hard Knock Life"
  17. Fab 5 Freddy, "Down By Law"
  18. Kiss, "I Was Made For Loving You"
  19. Rod Stewart, "If You Think I'm Sexy"
  20. Jermaine Stewart, "We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off"
  21. Pebbles, "Girlfriend"
  22. Janet Jackson, "What Have You Done For Me Lately"/"When I Think Of You"
  23. Aaliyah, "One In A Million"
  24. Prince, "Kiss"
  25. Hall & Oates, "I Can't Go For That (instrumental)"
  26. Isaac Hayes/Al Green, "Lets Stay Together"
  27. William Devaughn, "Be Thankful For What You've Got"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails